Tuesday 13 October 2015

Lewes

After a couple of days in Eastbourne we went up the road a bit to one of my old haunting grounds, Lewes, the county town of East Sussex.  Lewes is where my ex-colleague Martin lives and he still works at Sussex University, where I used to work a long time ago.  You met Martin before, in Istanbul, if you remember - here.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  As we waited at Eastbourne train station I asked Missy if she thought she could live in Eastbourne, just to see what she said.  She said she thought she could - 'There are worse places' apparently...  Here she is, perched on her case:

Missy, sorry to be leaving Eastbourne

There's something about that print I like.  It's currently living on a sideboard in our living room and it might just get elevated to the wall at some point - that's how much I like it, even with its shaky left hand edge (and what's all that about, eh?).  On Warmtone RC, if you're interested, which is a very nice paper indeed.

Lewes is a very pleasant little town - charming, even.  Famous for a lot of things, including Harveys bewery, right in the middle of town (more of that to come...).  Also famous - or maybe infamous - for the extravagant celebrations every year on Guy Fawke's night November 5th, where the local bonfire societies try to out-do each other during their processions through the town.  They usually burn an effigy of some-one or other who is topical - President Putin, President Bashar al-Assad and Kim Jong Un have all been 'done' in recent years...as have Alex Salmond and David Cameron.

In addition, they always burn an effigy of The Pope - well, not just any pope, one pope in particular - Pope Paul V.  I always found that rather ironic, coming from where I do, where burning any Pope would probably lead to even more civil disturbances than usual.  It has something to do with 17 Protestant martyrs being burnt at the stake in Lewes town centre a couple of years ago - well, OK, sometime in the 16th Century and yes, that's right, Pope Paul V was pope at the time.

I don't have any shots of Martin, or his lovely wife Kate, who were perfect hosts if a little camera-shy.  But I do have one of their cat:

Martin and Kate's Cat
And I have one of their garden:

Martin and Kate's Garden

The colours didn't come out too well on FP4+, but you get the gist.

No comments:

Post a Comment