Thursday 12 January 2023

Eternity ? Ye...

That space between Eternity and ? gets my attention.  I've photographed this graffiti before, as you might recall (here) and you can't really ignore it if approaching Portstewart Prom from the Cliff Walk.  It got a fresh lick of paint recently and that was the subject of some debate at the Council Chambers, since it is on Council-owned (i.e., public) property.  In the end there were enough votes to let it stay and be re-painted.  I wouldn't have voted for it.  My view is that Public Spaces should be as neutral as possible.  We have enough trouble with flags, songs and emblems in this neck of the woods as it is.  If you want, put a sticker on your car, or in your window, but let's have our towns and villages welcoming to all.

It reminds me of the notices you would see pinned to telegraph poles some years ago when out for a Sunday drive in the country.  'Eternity Where?' was always one of my favourites.  That was it...no answer, no explanation, just 'Eternity Where?'  As a kid it tickled me.

I hope the graffiti isn't indicative of a more vocal approach to issues-of-the-day, but I fear it could be.  Recently there's been a spate of protest groups outside our local hospital, with big, in your face Anti-abortion banners.  You can imagine the sort of thing...'Babies are murdered in this hospital' etc.  Sometimes there's one or two lone Pro-Choice people and the best placard I saw from that side was one which read 'Don't listen to these idiots' with a big arrow pointing at the other group.  This type of protesting is very new for this part of the world - the traditional Northern Irish way is to keep your head down and say nothing. I find it all rather depressing.  Or maybe it's just the January weather getting to me - it's been incredibly miserable of late.  Can't wait for Spring and some decent light...and please, if you're listening up there, less rain, big man, less rain.


I gave this one a bit of a wash in thiourea toner, to lighten the mood a little, as it was a bleak old scene the day we were out.  'Blad, Ilford Delta 3200 @ 1600, on Adox MCC paper.

I like the one, lonely gull turning over in the sky, which I spotted through the viewfinder and hoped to catch in a way that made it visible.  My lucky charm was standing beside me so I couldn't fail, really.

2 comments:

  1. I always walk away from protests because people get excited and excited people make me nervous.
    Love all those diagonals, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days that's a sensible strategy in any part of the world.

      And thanks!

      Delete