Tuesday 29 March 2016

Same old

One you might have seen before, but on Kentmere paper this time:


I dived into the darkroom last night to print this neg, which was from the Sinar.  These are pretty much the full 4x5 negative printed onto an 8x10 print.  Like a lot of things, I've found it works best when you have a plan.  The Nova processor takes about 15mins to heat the chemicals up and then I'm ready to go - all in all it was only about an hour from switching on the Nova until everything was washed and the prints were drying on the rack.


Now the interesting thing is I couldn't wait to get this one toned in sepia, as I thought the subject would really take it well.  But I'm not convinced.  Perhaps the Sepia is past it's best - I have no idea how long it lasts before you need to make up a new batch, and this one has been around a while, to be fair.  Anyway, as you can see, the non-toned print has a lot more punch that the toned one.  I'll take a wee look at Tim Rudman's Toning book to see he has to say about it. 

By the way, if you haven't seen it, this video of yer man in the darkroom is worth a look.   I like watching other how other people work in the darkroom - it's kind of a personal/baring-your-soul thing to invite the world inside... 

No comments:

Post a Comment