Thursday 31 March 2022

Bronze dude

This guy stands in front of the entrance to the Old Bodleian Library in Oxford and a damn fine cut of a man he is, too:

Statue of the Earl of Pembroke.  He was Lord Chamberlain and Steward of the Royal Household during the reigns of James I and Charles I.  I'm guessing he had a tough time towards the end of that particular job, although he relinquished the role in 1625, which in hindsight was a smart move. HP5+ in HC-110, on Ilford MG Classic fibre paper.

I'm thinking of commissioning something similar for myself.  Just haven't decided where I should put it. Perhaps at the entrance to Portstewart Strand.  Or maybe along the Prom, where I'm headed in a minute with an old Hasselblad snapper-upper. We'll see.

William Herbert, the 3rd Earl of Pembroke, was Chancellor of the University from 1617 until his death in 1630 (age 50).  The inscription over the door is unrelated, by the way.  It reads (more or less) "Thomas Bodley placed this library here for you, Oxford Academics, and for the commonwealth of educated men: May it turn out happily".  


4 comments:

  1. I like the sign over the door. I hope it does turn out happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiness is fairly important for the human condition. Without it, well, life is kind of miserable ;) but we're lucky in that we have the ability to find happiness, or perhaps contentment even when faced with adversity. OK enough preaching - far too early in the morning for this!

      Delete
  2. Have two, and put one either side of your from door. Relegate the Great Danes.

    ReplyDelete