Monday 28 March 2022

The Sacred Heart

The last of the religious Still Life shots for the moment.   According to my wife, a lot of families would have had The Sacred Heart hanging on a wall - there's space at the bottom for the children's names to be added as they came along.  And in Roman Catholic Ireland, they came along not in ones or twos - my wife's neighbours, when she was young, had eleven children.  Mostly boys, too.  I doubt there was much left on the table after mealtimes in that house.  

OM1/50mm Zuiko.  HP5 on Foma 313 paper, toned in home-brew thiourea.  Yes...well spotted, those damn goblets again.  They're really annoying me now.

I'm off now to mount some prints, as I stupidly volunteered to show some at tonight's Club Meeting.  What was I thinking...

3 comments:

  1. Some of my relatives in northern Newfoundland had pictures of Jesus on their walls. Names of children were written in family bibles rather than on the pictures. I always thought those sort of pictures were natural in church, but I felt they were a bit out of place in people's homes. A bit too 'serious'. I imagine my relatives thought the pictures of Charlotte Bronte and poems I had written out in calligraphy on my bedroom wall were a bit strange . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree, Marcus - it's a bit too much for my tastes, too. The Catholic Church had a major influence in peoples' lives here in Ireland for a very long time. And still does - in schools and hospital policies.

      Charlotte Bronte would have been my pin-up from that particular family, too. A few years back I visited the Haworth Museum - and even had a wee walk up on the moors ;) Wonderful. Did you know there's a Bronte connection to Northern Ireland? Or should I say, a Brunty connection :)

      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35162924

      Delete
    2. I didn't know the father was from Ireland. Brontë doesn't seem very Irish . . .

      Delete