Monday 21 March 2022

What's down there then love?

This was one of those shots which I thought might turn out to be a bit of fun, because of the folk in it.  A couple of seconds later they spotted me and waved an apology for getting in the shot.  But it was too late - I'd got 'em:

The courtyard of Oxford's most famous pub.  OM4ti/24mm Zuiko. On HP5+ via HC-110 on Ilford MG Classic paper.

It's unlikely you'll ever find The Turf Tavern unless you know it's there, as the entrance is down a very narrow passage off New College Lane.  It would be easily missed, even with the sign at the entrance to the passageway which points you towards 'An education in intoxication'.  I wonder how many pints have been served there over the centuries.  I didn't go inside this time but it's really rather special - very low, beamed ceilings remind you (a) that you are in a very old public house and (b) to duck.  Atmosphere by the bucket-load, even if you are the only one in it.

This is the view from the street, looking towards Catte Street with the Sheldonian Theatre in the background.  The entrance to The Turf is not visible, but is on the right of this shot just before the bridge, which links two parts of Herford College.  

Hertford Bridge, on New College Lane - sometimes referred to as The Bridge of Sighs, due to it's resemblance to that other Bridge of Sighs in Venice.




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting place. I love an old boozer, though not a fan of low ceilings. Went away recently to an old cottage and had drawn blood before I’d got my shoes off. Hazard of being tall. Must get to Oxford some day soon, not been for years. Lovely tones in the bridge image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one does pubs like the English - it's one of the things I miss most about living there. There's a lot of lovely small independent ones in Oxford. It took me a very long time to enjoy warm flat beer in the middle of the summer but once it clicked then I got it. Same as test match cricket - a slow burn but worth the wait.

      I'm not tall by any standards these days but even I had to be careful in the Turf.

      And thanks!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a drinker, but I would love to visit The Turf Tavern. Although the sign says it's Oxford's best kept secret, I wonder if Instagram has spilled the beans and the place is now filled with influencers with their phones and duck faces. If I ever get to Oxford, I think I would visit as early as possible to avoid crowds.
    I like the gesture in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure every single guide book/website about the city lists The Turf as a *must-see*. Still, it has remained reasonably authentic and absolutely lovely. We went last September fairly late on a Sunday evening and surprisingly it was deserted. They did us a really good meal as well as a decent pint.

      Thanks. The people made the shot - without them it would just be a boring shot of the courtyard.

      Delete