Monday 7 March 2022

Sick Call Outfit

In my last post I showed the outside of the Sick Call, or Last Rites box that was handed down from my wife's great-grandmother.  Here's the more interesting view:

Late 19th Century Sick Call Box, with added artefacts (goblets, Rosary beads and card).  Originally there would have been a cork stopper in the glass bottle for Holy Water but this has been lost.  FP4+ via OM-1, 50mm lens.  HC-110 on Foma 133 velvet fibre paper, toned in home-brew thiourea from Tim Rudman's recipe (Rayco formula). 

The Sick Call Instructions printed on the card read as follows:

In case of serious illness call a Priest.

See that the hands and feet of the patient are clean for the Holy Oils.

Set a small table covered with a white cloth at the head of the bed. Open your Sick-call Outfit and place it upon the table.  Place with it a cup or glass of fresh water.

The candles should be lighted before the Priest arrives. If he is carrying the Blessed Sacrament, meet him at the door with a lighted candle. Precede him in silence to the sick room.

As he greets the patient, retire from the room that he may administer the Sacrament of Penance. When he calls, re-enter and kneel.

As my parents were Protestants (mother was Church of Ireland and father was Presbyterian) all this was new to me - although obviously I was aware of some of the shenanigans in that other branch of Christianity.  As a child, my mother's neighbour was Roman Catholic and she tells me that one Christmas she took her into the local Chapel to see the Crib.  My mother says the whole place was in darkness, apart from the many candles and she was scared (and perhaps scarred) by the whole experience.   Back then (80-plus years ago) I can imagine there was quite a difference in the two Churches.  Thanks to my wife - and my role as School Governor - I've had lots of opportunities to visit local Roman Catholic Chapels - for confirmations, weddings, funeral services and special School occasions.  Not only have I lived to tell the tale but it seems to me that the differences aren't as great as perhaps they once were.  Mind you, it's 40-plus years since I attended a Protestant Church Service so things might be very different now compared to how I remember them - which was mainly a very formal affair with lots of singing and lots of preaching.  Especially the latter. 

By the way, I toned the last print as well, and updated the page accordingly to show both untoned and toned prints.  You can see them here

2 comments:

  1. I was about to write 'Nailed it!', but then thought it would be inappropriate given the crucifix. But I wrote it anyway . . .
    But seriously, that is a great composition. Everything is balanced and well lit. Most things are on a slight angle, which, maybe, leads the eye around the frame. One for the wall, for sure.

    ReplyDelete