Thursday 24 March 2022

Westgate, after dark

I'm not sure when it opened but the new Westgate Shopping Mall is the place to be avoided if like me (a) you don't quite get this obsession with shopping and (b) you don't like crowds.   Fortunately after 6pm in early March the crowds depart and you get the place more or less to yourself:


Westgate Shopping Mall, after dark.  OM4ti/24mm Zuiko, balanced against the railings for support as we were down to something like 1/4s.  HP5+/HC-110 on Ilford MG Classic.

The reason we was there at that time was our stomachs, which were informing us it was time to eat (again).  On the top floor of the Westgate there's a dozen or so eateries - everything from fancy breakfast establishments to fishy sushi type places.  Amazingly, they all seem to be busy 24/7 - even early evening, midweek in March.  I thought we could just swan up and sit down but most places had at least a 30-minute wait.  On a pleasant summer evening this place would be heaving, I reckon - but obviously everyone was inside at this time of year, so maybe that accounted for the congestion:

Top floor eateries. Another risky hand-held shot in low light - not sure I'd want to print this too big but it's sharp enough at 10"x8".

The first place we tried was a bar type place with a separate eating section.  We sat ourselves at the bar area to wait for our table and lasted all of about a minute before we decided to bail and try somewhere else.  The reason being the music, which was being pumped out at what must have been damn close to safety levels.  I looked around and no-one was capable of holding a proper conversation - even when leaned in, shouting was required.  Madness.  I can't imagine what it must be like working there for a few hours.  Not healthy, that's for sure.  Missy went up to the desk to inform them we wouldn't be needing a table after all and to be fair, the duty manager was very good - he apologised, suggested things might be better at lunchtime and if we phoned ahead he would reserve us a table in a quiet spot.   I got the impression that the rationale for the music was being dictated from above and he had very little say in the matter, so full marks for trying.     


4 comments:

  1. Looks like quite the place. When I was young the mall was filled with teenagers that annoyed everyone. The last time I was in my home town the mall was filled with old men annoying everyone, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. The oldies are probably hanging around the mall for the free heat.

      As malls go Westgate is pretty nice, even I have to admit.
      It clearly replaced an aging, much smaller 'mall' in the town...which is now almost empty of stores. There's nothing sadder than a mall that has reached its end of life. No-one seems to know what to do with it.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful atmospheric prints, I too hate the shopping crowds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, appreciated.

      Last time we were in the Westgate during the day there was an 'incident'. I was standing minding my own business and next thing this young guy comes running past at full pelt. "Hmm...that's strange", I thought to myself. A couple of seconds later a security guard ran past, giving chase...

      The guard was never going to catch the felon but it was entertaining for a few minutes. Too quick for me to get a snap off, though! :)

      Delete