Monday 4 April 2022

Out on a limb

The new viewing platforms at Magheracross outside Portrush.  I wasn't too sure about them at first, and I'm none to confident on them myself but when I saw this guy looking out to sea I thought it was worth wasting a shot on:

Magheracross Viewing Platform, with Portrush somewhere in the murky background.  It was a windy morning and the sea was pretty rough, as you can see. The platforms are embedded in the cliff rock, in case you were wondering. Hasselblad/100mm lens, on Fomapan 400, printed on Ilford Cooltone RC paper. 

The banding on the print is down to a bit of a disaster in the darkroom, as I was loading the film.  I must have had my eyes close in the dark and failed to notice that I hadn't closed the door properly - it had swung open and of course it had to be on the brightest, sunniest morning we'd had for months.  The curtain that I have inside the door helped but when I was finished loading the reel I opened my eyes and to my horror realised the darkroom wasn't exactly dark.  Too late, of course - the whole film was fogged and the outer few frames lost completely.  I was surprised I was able to print anything at all - and the banding isn't that noticeable in the print but it's never going to be 'on the wall' quality, which is a pity as the shot was a good 'un.  

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the film accident. That sort of thing doesn't happen with digital, he said smugly. But, of course, digital has its own perils. Files and folders disappear, Lightroom's database sometimes does funny things to the contents of my computer's folders, and naming and storing files requires a level of diligence I don't always have.
    I like the photo. I guess it's easy enough to get back there and try it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing with the number of digital shots most people take that storing and then finding them again is challenging. I give each film a date code and then write the code on the back of my prints, so if ever I want to re-print a shot it's relatively straightforward to find the neg.

      Magheracross is only a few miles away from where I live, so getting there is easy enough. Recreating that sea and having a guy standing in the right place at that time is going to be the tricky part ;)

      Delete