Monday 11 April 2022

The Watcher

The Holy Trinity Church in the parish of Ramoan and Culfeightrin sits in the Diamond, Ballycastle.  It once was the Chapel of Ease for a single family - Boyd - but was given to the Church of Ireland in the 1950s, presumably when the Boyd estate was broken up.  I've always thought it a lovely little building and so I snapped it up a couple of weeks ago.  It's not a great shot, this one, but what makes is the guy in the car.  He was stopped waiting for something or someone when he spied me with the Hasselblad.  I thought to myself OK once he realises what I'm up to he'll either move off or at least stop watching me, but no...he just sat there and watched, and watched, and watched.  So in the end I thought Right, we'll make the shot and you'll be in it, mate.  So here he is, the Star of the Show:


The Diamond, Ballycastle.  Actually when I look closely at the guy, I think his gaze might be just off to the left of me, so perhaps there's something even more interesting than a guy with a Hasselblad going on in Ballycastle that day. (Though I can’t for the life of me think what that might be). On FP4, Ilford Cooltone paper. 


5 comments:

  1. It looks like an odd place to stop a vehicle, but maybe there is a traffic signal I can't see. Anyway, you've made him famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeh he's famous now all right ;)

      In small towns like Ballycastle people don't need a reason to stop their vehicle. Most of them are making it up as they go along, so double- and sometimes triple-parking is fair game. That maybe sounds a little condescending but I don't mean it to be. Years ago it would probably have annoyed the hell of out me, but now I actually embrace it (though I don't practice that sort of behaviour myself). There's something about a blatant disregard for (or ignorance of) the rules that I find appealing as I get older.

      Delete
    2. If I were able to ignore the people who double park, drive on the sidewalks, park on the sidewalks, and cut me off on my bicycle, I would probably achieve Nirvana and disappear from existence. Not likely to happen . . . .

      Delete
  2. To be critical, you were a minute too late! Nice shot though, I like curve of the double yellow lines, and the two trees hold it all in well.

    ReplyDelete