Thursday 22 April 2021

Glass's

One you've seen before but re-printed this afternoon.  I wasn't sure I was going to get anything done this week since as explained previously I'm in A Level Maths Tuition mode.  The end is in sight though - only 2 more  assessments and then Missy is done and dusted.  I'll be done by then too...

Anyway, I had to get a print done for the monthly Print Exchange I do with fellow members of the online Film and Darkroom User Group.  It's a great group, the forum is very active and members are extremely helpful and generous with their knowledge.  There is little evidence of egos, a welcome difference to many other online groups.  Anyway, I decided to re-print the little shop in Bushmills, this time on the lovely Fomapan 133 Velvet fibre paper.  The paper suits the olde-worlde feel to the shot, I think, and the whole thing is enhanced by a bit of vignetting added under the enlarger and a light sepia tone.  I made up fresh bleach and toner solutions from the raw chemicals, according to a recipe in Tim Rudman's wonderful The Master Photographer's Toning Book.  


Glass's in Bushmills, 2021.  On Fomatone 133 Velvet paper, home-brew toned.

Right now I'm going out for some much-needed fresh air as it looks like Spring has finally sprung in The Liberties.  See y'all Monday.

3 comments:

  1. The print looks good. I hope you get out to make more photos once the A levels are done.
    I've been looking for a good online forum for years where I can share photos and have discussions, but I still haven't found one that suits me. Most of them are camera forums more than photography forums. Or the photographers are more interested in sharpness and saturation than design and content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yep - me too! The end is in sight - another week and a bit to go and then there'll be a massive sigh of relief in the McNeill household.

      I take your point about online forums - way too much fascination with the 'what' rather than the 'why'. Perhaps you need to start one, Marcus. I think it would be very well supported.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure how I would go about it. Or if I would have the time to run such a site. It seems like a massive undertaking.

      Delete