Monday 12 April 2021

Dunseverick Castle

My daughter and her boyfriend enjoy driving around the country and finding new places to explore.  I guess they must have seen the sign for 'Dunseverick Castle' one day as they drove around the coast and made a plan to come back and investigate.  They were all set up to make a day of it...probably had thoughts of exploring ancient ruins, complete with baronial halls and dungeons.  They were, I seem to recall, quite disappointed when they arrived:

 

Dunseverick Castle.  On the 'Blad, 250mm lens, HP5+ and Ilford MFV paper.

You can get closer than I did here - this shot was taken from the road - but it's a steepish slippery climb down the grassy bank and I didn't fancy it.  I don't think they did either.  Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, the Castle is historically significant but unfortunately this is all that remains.  I guess the rest of it fell into the sea at some point.  We're lucky, I suppose, that anything remains of it - I'm sure the foundations must be steeped in blood given the history of the place.  If it wasn't your fellow Celts from Ireland trying to wrest power from you it was those damned Scots who seemed to be forever making war in this part of the world.  Or the Vikings - let's not forget them.  Then the English got in on the act and things just went from bad to worse.  Perhaps things haven't changed as much as we'd like to think they have in the last couple of thousand years...



2 comments:

  1. May all military buildings fall apart soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’ll be the last ones standing, unfortunately...

      Delete