Monday 23 December 2019

Oh, the stone

OK so I couldn't resist a little reprise on the last title - apologies.  But this is how some exquisite centuries-old Italian stonework comes out on Foma paper via some lith developer:

Bergamo stonework, on HP5+/Foma paper, lith developer

The composer Donizetti was from Bergamo, but you don't get it shoved down your throat when you're there - thankfully.  A bit like the fact that Ireland's finest Mr James Joyce spent many years living in Trieste - there was no sign of that when we were there 25-odd years ago.  Times may have changed, of course...

But back to Bergamo and Donizetti.  This stonework was either from the house in which he resided for a time, or one very close to it.  Just round the back of the Basilica, in case you were wondering (it's not a big place). Anyway, came out rather sweet on the old Foma 131 fibre paper in lith developer, I thought.


2 comments:

  1. At first glance I thought, "Wow, noob mistake. He cut off the right side of the pillar." But then I had a second glance and thought, "Ah, very well done." I love the composition and the subject and the 'colour' of the print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't spotted that - and it's annoying me now! I think the reason for cropping the right hand side as I did was that the dark vertical just closes off the side. I'll need to take a look at the negative.

      And thanks!

      Delete