Monday 2 December 2019

Bicycle

This scene caught my eye - in one of those many courtyards I was talking about last time. This print was my first attempt at it and there's more work to be done but here it is anyway:

Bicycle in Bergamo.  HP5+ on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper, toned

A little more contrast would make the white frame of the bicycle stand out better, I think - although it will be just a little more.  As I've said before, these days I'm tending to favour lower contrast than pushing every scene, every print to full black shadows and paper-white highlights.

The left hand side of the print needs a little burning in to balance it out and while the weak sepia tone I used here is good I think it could benefit from a being a little warmer.  Perhaps a sepia-selenium combination might work well.  I'll post my next attempt in due course.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea - this was a particularly nice looking bike. And there it was, just resting against a particularly nice looking wall :)

      Delete
  2. This looks pretty good, so I am looking forward to seeing your final version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Marcus - you know where to find it, once it gets done ;)

      Delete