Monday 16 December 2019

Just playing (and some very old Tri-X)

I probably mentioned a while back about the visitors we had in the summer - all the way from Japan. My new-found cousin, her husband and two children. Not the time to be experimenting with long-expired Tri-X (a film I’ve never used before), but for some unknown reason that’s the way it turned out.  OK so not for some unknown reason at all but just from lack of planning.  It happens.  It actually turned out OK (ish) in my usual ID-11.  A tad grainy but as the man said Grain is Good - right?

The film I acquired from a school clear-out a while back. It was inside a Watson Bulk Loader and I’ve no idea what age it is - I would guess around 15-20 years old.

Here’s Mom&Son just playing (i.e., learning) in the little sandy beach by Portstewart Prom. That be Donegal/Inishowen peninsula in the distance (Malin Head, Ireland's most northerly point is the bit sticking out in the far distance).

Mom&son in Portstewart, Summer 2019.  Tri-X on Ilford Warmtone fibre.

I dunked the bottom third of the print in some very old (but still working - does this stuff ever go off?) PotFerri just to brighten up those white areas in their shirts, otherwise it's a straight print.  After mounting it'll be on it's way to Kanagawa, possibly to end up on a wall - who knows?

I like this shot.  A little shared moment in our lives - Mom, son and the guy with the camera.

It's a tad early for New Year's Resolutions,  I know - but I'd like there to be more people in my shots than there currently is.  That's going to be something I'll be working on...

2 comments:

  1. That's a fine photo, indeed. Definitely Wall-Worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like the fact there’s a bit or Ireland (and Irish sky) in it as well.

      Delete