Monday 14 January 2019

Somewhere in Bath

The thing about this little ginnel/alley/street, I can't find the name of it anywhere.  I know where it is - it a pedestrian only street that connects North Parade Buildings (what you saw here a while back) to Abbey Green, where the Crystal Palace public house lies.  The closest I could find using an online map was Lilliput Court, but I think that refers to a little courtyard nearby (more or less where the bicycles are in the shot below) and not the lane itself.  Google Maps actually shows it and you can walk down it via Street View, but I can't see a name anywhere.  This has got me intrigued and I will continue to keep looking.

In the meantime, here's what it looks like via HP5+ on a Yashica T4 and printed on Ilford Fibre Classic paper:

Somewhere in Bath, England.

2 comments:

  1. I've long dreamed of dunking my head in the baths of Aquae Sulis, but the baths in my head are not open to the public. And probably toxic with lead, anyway. If I stayed in that water too long I'd probably start believing that I'm emperor of Rome. I've certainly got the name for it, and my grandfather was named Augustus. I think that qualifies me.
    Great photo. Are the photogenic lanes and streets really that empty, or did you wait for a break in the crowds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcus - appreciated. Although it was July and we’re only a stone’s throw away from Bath Abbey this little alley is well hidden and so doesn’t get a lot of traffic. I was able to snap it as you see here without a problem. As I looked at the print I thought if it wasn’t for the bicycles tied up this scene could be from the days of Jane Austen.

    In the 1980s when I was a student here the place was teeming with Americans. Nowadays Bath is teeming with Asians.

    You certainly have the name for it, Marcus! And your grandfather as well! His parents were aiming high, I guess :) The new (ish) Thermae Bath is the place to wallow in the warm waters, but boy does it get busy. The rooftop pool is rather special, though.

    ReplyDelete