Monday 21 January 2019

Somewhere in Paris

Continuing the 'Somewhere in...' series here's a print from a shot taken in Paris in the summer of 1976 using the OM-1:

Somewhere in Paris, 1976.  Ilford Classic FB paper.
 Excuse the yucky digital border - I'm having trouble taking a decent phone snap of the actual mounted print without getting some horrible warm colour cast.  I'll have to investigate, if I can be bothered...

Anyway, a pretty unremarkable shot, this one, but still there's something of interest in it - to me, anyway.  I've no idea what the building is, by the way, although it looks like some sort of consulate/government building, complete with the tricolore flying above the rather impressive stone figures.

It's the cars that attracted my attention.  Two rather official-looking shiny black Renault 16s (and what looks like the roof of a Ford Capri in the foreground).  That's all, really.

4 comments:

  1. Wim Wenders said every photo is the first frame of a movie. Your photo does look like the beginning of a spy thriller.
    I like the angular/boxy cars of the 60s and 70s. Everything seemed to turn to bubbles and capsules in the 80s(?) and 90s. The Ford Taurus station wagon was the ugliest offender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that Wim Wenders quote, Marcus - thanks for sharing. I get it. I'm reserving the right to pass it on ;)

      Perhaps Michael Caine, in his trademark '60s Macintosh and black-rimmed spectacles is about to step into shot :)

      Cars look too similar nowadays - all that computer-aided design and wind tunnels. And why, I'd like to know, does my current Ford return less mpg than my last one?

      Delete
  2. I'll take the Capri 3000 over the Renaults... any day!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right choice, Roy. You still see the odd Capri on the road over here - and they look good! I remember sitting in one a few times - not sure I could even get in it these days, mind you. And as we found out back in the 80s, sitting in an old fairly beat-up Capri might look good but doesn't actually mean you'll end up moving very far...

      Delete