Monday 7 January 2019

A tale of two bridges

On the road to Dublin from 'The North' you cross over the famous River Boyne.  If you've never heard of it, you need to seriously revise Irish History 101.  Briefly, the Boyne is the place in 1690 where King William of Orange (Protestant, Dutch originally but acceded to the English Throne in 1688) defeated the deposed King James (Catholic).  This turned the tide in the fortunes of James who failed to regain the English Crown.

Anyways, the Boyne Valley is outstandingly beautiful but up until this bridge was built in 2003 it meant a rather slow and tortuous journey to get to Dublin.  The motorway and this bridge have greatly improved the journey times - door to door for me, on a good day with a following wind and little traffic I can do it in about 2 hours 40, hammer down.

I snapped this up through the car windscreen, on the Yashica T4.  And no, I wasn't driving at the time.  I printed it on Foma paper using lith developer and the first print came out like this:



Mary McAleese Bridge over the River Boyne, Ireland.



Mary McAleese, in case you were wondering, was a past President of Ireland - probably in 2003 or when the bridge was commissioned.

After a bit longer exposure, the second print came out a little darker:





I'm not sure which I prefer - they both have their merits.  Perhaps something inbetween would be the better option, if I ever re-print it, that is.  We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I think I prefer no.1 but that's just me probably. Or something in between, as you say. Or, you can find your can of old Selenium toner and dip the second one in for a tiny bit of time and have a look at it again. Lots of options :))
    Great shot, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Roy - I think this is one of those (or two of these, to be precise) that needs to sit around for a few weeks and looked at every now and again. Maybe then it will become a little clearer...

      Delete