Thursday 5 November 2020

The Fringe

 Not the TV series (which I thought was pretty watchable until the whole double-universe thing started, which just tipped over the edge of believability for me), but this fringe here, on you-know-who:

On Ilford MGV paper.  Cropped from the square, as it seemed to work best like that.

As you can see, I was breaking the rules here by taking Missy's shot as she squinted directly into the sun.  It's super-contrasty - and I find that MGV is a much more contrasty paper than its predecessor, which I'm not always in the mood for.  Anyway, I like the shadows of her curls falling across her face.  The fringe comes and goes as the notion takes her - I guess most teenage girls experiment a fair bit with 'their look' before they settle.  As for me, I'm still experimenting with my look - although not with the hair, since I lost most of that a good while ago...

5 comments:

  1. Kate Bush! (One of my top three favourite singers/groups)
    The sun might be a bit too harsh here, but I love that background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha what red-blooded teenage lad didn't like Kate Bush. (I had a poster of her on my wall during my student days). One very talented and original singer/songwriter, is Ms Bush. I'm still a huge fan.

      I went to University in Bath, South-West England. Famous for a lot of things, is Bath...one of which is that just outside the city lies Solsbury Hill (the one that Peter Gabriel sang about). We used to walk up there from time to time. At one time it was rumoured that Mr Gabriel had a recording studio along London Road, which I walked along pretty much every day for a few years. I was always hoping to catch a glimpse...not of PG, as good as that would have been of course, but of Kate Bush, who he was very close to around that time. Sadly for me, I saw neither.

      I must admit I didn't see the likeness in the photo, but I do now. The background is what our dune grass looks like when you think you have a clear filter on the front of your Hasselblad lens but actually have a Softar filter. It's a 'mistake' I'll be making again ;)

      Delete
    2. I didn't put too many photos on my bedroom walls, but during my university days I had a drawing of Charlotte Brontë on my wall. My friends thought I was a nutter. Until I went to university and bought one of her early VHS tapes, I only knew what she looked like from the "Cloudbusting" video. And she was dressed as a boy in that one.
      Genesis, especially during the Peter Gabriel days, is one of my other top three singers/groups. Leonard Cohen is the third. Had to get a Canadian in.

      Delete
    3. I can't imagine too many students having a pin-up of Charlotte Bronte on their wall - I like it. You'd have fitted in well in our student house, Marcus - my room-mate was a massive early Genesis fan, so I got to listen (a lot) to albums such as Selling England by the Pound and The Lamb... I'd never really been much of a Genesis fan before then, but I did finally get to appreciate them (he wore me down lol).

      You're spoilt for choice for talented Canadian singer-songwriter-bands - Neil Young would be by #1, I think. I always had a soft spot for Rush, too. And I went through a Joni Mitchell phase (doesn't everyone?!).

      Delete
    4. I was the odd one in my residence. It was mostly AC/DC, hard rock, and bloody "Bohemian Rhapsody" played over and over when the film came out. Damn, I should have gone to Britain for uni.

      Delete