Monday 9 November 2020

Minor Miracle

Well the minor miracle is that I finally got to the end of the film in a couple of cameras. It’s good to be back in the game but I did feel decidedly rusty in the darkroom this morning (Sunday, as I write this).  This one I took when ‘up the town’ last week one early-ish morning, when the light was rather soft & lovely. I poked the F2 and 85mm lens through the railings of St Patrick’s Church and this was the result, on Foma 133 paper:

St Patrick's Churchyard, Coleraine, November 2020

I quite like the 85mm focal length - it's about the longest I use these days for general photography.  The 105mm Nikkor has the better reputation, but it's a longer, bigger lens - the 85mm isn't much different in size to the 50mm.  I think I'd even prefer something even shorter, if they made it - something around the 75mm focal length.  I can always use the Vivitar variable focussing 35-85mm but it's a bit of a beast of a thing and besides, I'm not a great fan of zoom lenses - it takes away from the spontaneity of the thing, I find.  I like to walk about with one prime lens and after a while I find that I 'get my eye' in for that focal length.  

3 comments:

  1. On 35mm cameras the 28-85mm type zooms can be very large and I don't like them. The equivalent zoom lens on my Fujifilm X-T4 is very light and not much larger than a fast standard prime lens. And it has markings for 28, 35, 50, and 85mm equivalents. Very handy.
    That's quite an atmospheric photo. Can you get in there and make some photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fuji system seems to be well liked, from what I read. That size sounds impressive, for the functionality offered. I'd be pretty happy with 28-85mm - that would cover 95% of my photography, I reckon.

      The light was good that morning, Marcus. I should be able to get in, although the gates were locked that particular morning. Perhaps every morning, which would be a shame photography-speaking.

      Delete
    2. I like the colours of the Fuji system. And the retro looks.
      Most historical sites here don't open until nine o'clock, long after the nice light is gone.

      Delete