Thursday 13 January 2022

Return to Portstewart Strand

A while ago I took a shot from the dunes on Portstewart Strand with the pinhole - (this one).  I thought it might be worth a return trip on another windy day so a couple of weeks ago I did just that, with the 'Blad this time.  This was how it turned out:

Long exposure on the dunes, looking towards Inishowen (Donegal).  Hasselblad 501cm with 50mm Distagon FLE.  FP4+ in HC-110, Foma 313 paper.  The sky was burnt in a bit and the foreground required dodging to reveal the detail in the grass.

You can't really compare the two shots like for like - different days, formats and fields of views (4x5, 21mm equivalent vs 6x6, 28mm equivalent).  Also, one is taken without a lens at all and the other (this one) is on one of the most expensive film medium format camera-lens combinations you can get.  This one gets my vote (that's a relief, eh?!) but I'm constantly surprised by the results from the Harman/Walker TiTAN pinhole.

2 comments:

  1. This one would get my vote too, but perhaps comparing two shots where practically nothing is stationary isn’t the way to see what that lovely glass has over none at all. Good on you for getting out in the lousy weather we’ve been having. I’m longing for lighter mornings so my pre-work dog walk might be a bit more photographically productive. Some nice mist the last couple of days but the sun is only just rising when I get back, so even with VR it’s a struggle, and I’m not going to start lugging a tripod around, although I have often thought about modifying a rod-rest to accommodate a tripod thread. You could just push it into the dirt somewhere. Maybe I’ll do that this year. Then again, maybe I won’t!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good intentions and all that ;)

      I hate carrying a tripod as well - added weight and the one I take out with me is too bulky even when collapsed. I need to invest in a new travel one, I think. Someone in the Photo Club mentioned a bean bag as a good, portable alternative. I can see how that would work if you had surface to rest it on, but out in the open that's a rarity plus it would compromise your composition.

      The lighter mornings are coming, slowly. As are the longer days. It's starting to get noticeable now but like you we are suffering from very dark, miserable days at the moment with very flat light...not the best for photograph-making.

      Delete