Thursday 16 September 2021

The Turl

 The famous Turl Street in Oxford:


Turl Street, with Jesus College on the right.  Check out the chimneys - unusually tall and rather splendid. As you can see on the left, Turl St caters well for the thirsty academic.  HP5 in HC-110, on Foma 133 paper.

I'm not getting the results that I want from my new HC-110 developer with HP5 - I seem to be losing about a stop - these negatives were a bit lacking in contrast after 8 minutes of dilution E (1:47).  Salvageable, but I don't like having to print at Grade 5 since if you need a bit more local contrast anywhere there's nowhere to go.  The Yashica T4 reads the speed from the DX coding on the cannister and usually I've bulk-loaded some HP5 into 200iso cannisters to fool the Yashica into giving me that extra stop but on this occasion there was a proper HP5+ cannister inside so it was exposing at 400.  

This print is hot off the press this morning which is the first time in a while I've actually been in the darkroom.  We're still a bit bushed after the weekend and the house is upside down as we've a kitchen guy in doing some refurbishment of our cupboard space.  He was booked months ago and it just so happened to coincide with a week that we could have usefully spend doing not very much.  With luck he'll finish today and we can start to get the place back into shape, by which time there will be a hundred other things to do.  Does it ever stop?



2 comments:

  1. Great composition. And I love a street with no cars on it.
    One wonders how many great ideas were born in Jesus College vs born in Oxford Wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Cars and Oxford city centre don't go together - the congestion when we arrived on the Saturday was bad. We got a taxi to the Uni and we sat at one set of traffic lights for a long time. I watched the meter tick up as we were stationary, just for interest...that one set of lights cost me nearly £2 :(

      Haha a good question! I suspect the wine sellers in Oxford do good business, judging by a lot of academics that I've come across.

      Delete