Thursday 30 September 2021

Portrush East Strand

 Like the song says, Oh it is nice to be beside the sea-side:

Portrush East Strand, September 2021.  The surf was up and there were about 20 surfers in the sea at one point, as well as a few walkers.  That's Benbane Head in the distance.  It's a straight print, the sky was really lovely with heavy cloud.  I thought at one stage we were in for a downpour but thankfully it stayed dry.  OM4ti/85mm, on HP5 developed in HC-110 and printed on Foma 133 paper.  The negs came out pretty yucky, low in contrast (due to my inexperience with HC-110) so I was printing this at maximum grade 5 but I was happy enough with the way the print came out.

I liked the funky handrails for the steps leading down to the beach but I didn't quite them the way I wanted them, although that became clear only in the darkroom.  Ideally I would like a little more space under the bottom curve and no pavement showing on the right.  I'm not sure it's possible - perhaps it might be with a different focal length lens.  Next time I'm there I'll have a closer look.

No comments:

Post a Comment