Friday 26 May 2017

Derrykeighan Church

Derrykeighan Church of Ireland lies almost in the village of Dervock, just a short drive away:





I had stopped the car at the side of the road and got out with the 'Blad, got my composure sorted as best I could and was thinking this was going to be OK - as a documentary sort of snap, y'know.  Now Dervock is a fairly quiet wee place - as you can imagine there ain't a whole lot going on there, so imagine my dismay when just as I was about to press the shutter release a car drives past me up to the church.  I'm a little ashamed to say the thoughts inside my head weren't particularly God-like at that moment.  But the little car trundled up around the side of the church and thankfully parked up so that it was completely hidden by the Notice Board.  So I got my snap off OK in the end - and that's all that mattered, right?!

The church is built from basalt and the stone is a lot darker than it appears in the shot above.  That's what using Foma MG131 Fibre paper in Moersch Easylith developer does for you, but I think it makes for a more interesting print.

Derrykeighan was one of those places we used to pass through on a Sunday afternoon when my father would drive us all up to the Antrim Hills for a day out.  There used to be a little corner shop and he would stop there and buy choc-ices for everyone.  In those days it seemed like it was a long way from home but in reality is wasn't more than about a 20 minute drive.  Funny when I think about it now, how time seemed to pass slower as a kid.  I suppose it's all relative to your age...

Believe it or not, I once knew of a girl called Kerry Deighan.  Not that she lived in DerryKeighan, mind you - that would have been just too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment