Thursday 4 May 2023

The light

I've been finding it tricky to print some of the shots from Sardinia.  I think this is due to a number of factors but the main one is the fact that strong Italian sunlight makes for harsh shadows.  Sometimes that's OK, but it makes it difficult to get the exposure right for both elements; and then also when printing - it's not easy to keep detail in the shadows without losing the highlights completely (and vice-versa).  I've had to resort to a bit more dodging that I would normally do - here in Ireland we get soft, even light a lot of the time due to copious amounts of cloud cover.  I don't think Foma 133 is dealing too well with these negatives, so I tried Kentmere fixed grade paper for this one.  At grade 3 it was a bit too contrasty for the negative and as you can see, the highlight in the middle distance (where the sun is illuminating part of the scene) is pretty much lost:

I'd like to say I saw and waited for the perfect moment but in truth I didn't notice the lady turning her head until I printed this.  It's a pity its not a little more obvious.
OM4ti/85mm/FP4+

I think I will try to make a better print of this one - it has potential, as they say.  If I'm successful, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment