Monday 15 May 2023

Lamped

Lamped has many meanings...including one that always made me smile: being hit very hard.  Perhaps that's a nod to having your lights punched out.  But here I'm taking a more literal meaning:

Ornate lamps outside the Chiesa Collegiata di Sant'Anna in Cagliari. 
OM4ti/85mm/FP4/Foma 133; toned in home-brew thiourea.

I was looking forward to being able to show something of the inside of these beautiful churches, but I had a moment of madness.  I'd loaded HP5+ and was rating it at 1600iso, as obviously things were a little dark inside.  I think it was while I was in the third church of the day that I noticed the rewind spool wasn't turning as I wound on.  I re-tensioned it, took another shot and as I wound on the tension seem to unwind on the spool.  Heck, I thought - have I not loaded the film correctly?  And not noticed all day?  Ach...

So then I did a stupid thing.  By then I had convinced myself I'd not loaded the film correctly.  Frustration took over and I opened the back of the camera...and...wouldn't you know, everything looked OK.  Except of course I'd opened the back.  I know - I'm an eejit.

Anyway, I'm away now to develop said film and see if anything is salvageable.  I'll let you know shortly.  Go make a cup of tea in the meantime.

(Insert your favourite elevator music here)

Apologies - that took a bit longer than anticipated.  HP5+ at 1600 in Ilfotec 1:31 needed 14 minutes, according to the Massive Dev App.  OK so obviously the part of the film that was exposed to light is ruined, but at first I thought the start of the film looked OK, no obvious signs of fogging on the frames themselves, although the top and bottom edges were black.  However, once dry a closer inspection showed it's all a bit veiled and murky, very low contrast so I doubt there's anything salvageable in the darkroom.  I did go back and re-shoot the interior of two of the Churches we'd visited that day - the Chiesa Collegiata di Sant'Anna you see above and the Chiesa di San Michele, which has a stunning Baroque and Rococo styled interior, so once I get that film finished hopefully there will be something to share.  

No comments:

Post a Comment