Thursday 4 November 2021

Roe Valley Park

The Roe Valley Park was always a favourite of ours to go for a country walk and last week I ended up there twice, once with my fellow film shooter David and a few days later with some Club Members.  It's about half an hour drive from home...and I really should go there more often.  It's very good for the soul, although less good when you've a Hasselblad, two lenses, spare back, a bunch of filters and a tripod with you.  On my second visit I took the pinhole.

After all the recent rain there was quite the flood on, as my grandfather would have said.  He loved the Roe and as I've written before we spent many an hour there when I was a teenager, trying to entice some fish onto the end of our lines (with very limited success, it has to be said). The River Roe wends its way from the Sperrin mountains in Country Tyrone and empties in the Atlantic just under the table-top mountain of Binevenagh.  (Note: at about 1200 feet I'm not sure it really qualifies as a mountain as in Kilimanjaro meaning of the word but it's a rather lovely bit of rock all the same).  I used the 150mm lens (roughly 100mm equivalent in 35mm parlance) with an ND filter to see what would be captured and this is what revealed itself to me yesterday in the darkroom:

At the Roe Valley Park, late October 2021.  Cropped from the square to 35mm proportions. FP4+ in HC-110, printed on MG Classic fibre paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment