Monday 22 November 2021

More is Different

We had some art on display in The Liberties a while back...at Flowerfield Arts Centre in Portstewart (here, in an earlier post).  Entitled More is Different, these larch sculptures by Sara Cunningham-Bell explored form in relation to one another, how they enhance one another and how they are inter-dependent.  I wasn't sure what to expect but I thought they might make an interesting photoshoot.  When I saw their shapes, I knew I was in for a challenge...they were very tall and narrow, not what I was expecting at all.  Anyway, armed with an Olympus OM4ti and a Zuiko 85mm and with the help of some HP5+ I channeled my inner Fred Picker and this is what came out:


More is Different sculptures at Flowerfield, September 2021.  On Foma 133 paper.


I'm pretty sure were he still alive Fred P would be taking me to the cleaners with these efforts.  It took a fair bit of wandering around trying to visualise different angles and viewpoints...looking at the sculptures themselves and trying not to get intrusive backgrounds etc.  I guess normally I would focus on the near object and let the far object fade into out-of-focus but I reckoned if I did that here, the far sculpture would just fade into obscurity, so as you can see I did the opposite and focussed on the far one.

I must admit I enjoyed the challenge, even if the end result was a little underwhelming.  If anything it reminded me to look at the options, whatever is in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment