Thursday 29 August 2019

Portstewart

There is a small (but growing) band of film users in our wee Photo Club and the other evening we headed out for a shoot. Nowhere very ambitious - just down to Portstewart. The early evening sun was lighting up the Promenade nicely and I shot this on the Hasselblad with the 250mm Sonnar. On a tripod, of course - I doubt if that combination is hand-holdable. HP5+ rated at my usual 250iso and developed in ID-11 1:1 for 13mins.


Portstewart Prom, August 2019. Adox MCC paper.


I burnt in the sky a little (too much?) and added a vignette to the corners&edges, as well doing my usual thing for the black borders so there were 5 steps to making the print. That’s a lot for me, but I was pretty happy with the result. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the photograph. I'm not sure if the sky is too dark or not, but needs more contrast? Not sure.
    I couldn't handhold the Contax 645 with a 140mm lens when I had it because I could never get it steady enough. And that was a camera with a hand grip. I imagine the Hasselblad is even more difficult to hold steady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. The print has been sitting around for a few days now and I think I'm OK with how it looks. Burning in the sky has helped contain it, keep the attention on the town, I think.

      The 'Blad isn't too bad to handhold, I find - I will handhold even with the 150mm lens (which is quite compact) provided there's enough light for a reasonably fast shutter speed - not below 1/125 and preferably 1/250 or higher. But the 250mm is a bit of a beast of a lens, so it's definitely tripod material.

      These aren't huge enlargements, mind you (about 9" square). It might be a different story if I was doing bigger prints.

      Delete
  2. Nah... not too much burning in at all if you ask me! It's helping the whites stand out and makes a nice touch and nod to the darkish bits in the foreground as well, which we like of course. At least in this print we do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Roy. I like this wee shot of my little Portstewart Town. If you can see it up close you can spot those little figures on the lower part of the Promenade...almost like toy figures. That Hassy/Zeiss lens has tremendous resolving power when the light is right - and the focus and everything else of course ;)

      Delete