Thursday 8 August 2019

East Tyrone

Well our Japanese guests have departed so the house is feeling a little empty and a little quiet.  You forget how much energy the under-5s have.  We only ever had one to contend (Missy) but with two it's survival mode from 7am until whatever time their batteries run out - at least 12 or 13 hours.  And boy can they move fast...

On the plus side we had fantastic weather so we were able to get out and about a little.  We did a little historical visit to Killowen Church in Coleraine where my cousin found her grandfather's name on the Roll of Honour from WW1, so that in itself was probably worth the trip for her.  Then we spent the afternoon in Portstewart watching the kids run mad around the park before we got the obligatory ice creams.  Looking around, it seemed like everyone - and I mean, everyone - on the Prom had an ice cream that day.  It was warm, though...

Anyway, since I haven't been near the darkroom I'm afraid it's another from the Cycle Sportive for today's print.  Hopefully the last. East Tyrone, by the way, refers to the county of Tyrone, which lies a bit south and a bit west of The Liberties.

Ilford Warmtone RC paper

Tyrone is one of the 6 counties that make up Northern Ireland - the others being Antrim, Down, Fermanagh, Armagh, and Derry/Londonderry.  Population about 1.8 million, in case you were wondering.  A far cry from Japan, with a population of 126 million in a land mass about 27 times larger.

7 comments:

  1. And it's back to smiling faces. I hope I can be that active and pleasant when I'm older. I'd like to be that active and pleasant now . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Marcus ;) Not always easy though...

      This gentleman did look quite the Happy Chappie that morning - like he hasn't a care in the world. A good way to be, I should think.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see bikes and film snaps. I was out for a little potter with Eve on our road bikes this morning. Eve's ride somewhat longer than mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the bicycling fraternity seem a very friendly lot. You & Eve have the perfect location for a bit of a pedal - the roads are getting very congested over these parts nowadays, unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. Oh well... since you started playing with numbers:
    We from over here are about 5,3 million these days, a bit more than the mere 4,5 mill we used to be when I learned these things at school. So quite close to three times your population, but we're still bigger (in landmass) than Japan. We got about 385 000 square kilometers to play around in, while the Japanese got a few thousand less of them. From what I can read out of those numbers we got a long way to go before we can really start complaining about densely populated and so on... On the other hand there will be huge areas in our country where no one could live unless he or she's a norwegian... or something similar.
    Another nice print my friend! I really like this series of bikeists from the North East Liberties of Coleraine, or as in this one from Tyrone... They are great, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fair to say Norway is a bit under-populated, then! But its all relative, of course - I'm sure there are times and places over there in that place you call home when you get stuck in traffic and say words that shouldn't normally be said. Over here the traffic gets worse year on year. In the old days it was likely to be a tractor or two or maybe a few cows or sheep causing the problem. Nowadays it's 4x4s and BMWs and too-big motorhomes whose owners come up to the North Coast for the summer vacation. The secret is out, you see - we have that beautiful Antrim coastline and all those sandy beaches...

      Delete
    2. Oh... the traffic...! It happens all the time my friend, but I have tried to live a bit away from that trouble the last few years, and it has been great. Another thing is that when you work like I do you never get stuck in traffic on your way to work and things like that, which helps on the mood of course.
      I just went to Oslo a few days after coming home a couple of months ago. Had to get a new car, and we found one down there so I went off to buy it. Well... it turns out I have not forgot how to swear properly, I'll tell you that much. That traffic out of that town nearly gave me a heart attack, and that's for just one trip into the place?! I'll better stay away from big cities, at least if I'm behind the wheel in a car.

      Delete