Monday 12 August 2019

A girl called Chloe

Chloe is one of Missy's friends.  We had a short break before the madness pleasure of family commitments and Missy wanted her friend to come along, so she did.  We flew from Belfast to Valencia - city of Culture&Arts and wacky architecture.  I didn't really warm to it, though and I haven't quite figured out why - apart from the fact that I thought the food was poor and it was way too hot for me (I know, I know, who'd have thought southern Spain would be hot in the middle of July?  I was out-voted, you see).

I didn't take many photographs and those that I did were spectacularly poor.  My head simply wasn't in the game.

Anyway, this is Chloe on our first night, dining al fresco somewhere in the back streets where the locals were hanging out.  Much preferable to the main drag where - shock, horror -  tourists and paella restaurants abound. I think it was using the 21mm Voigtlander lens on the M6 but it could have been the 35mm f/2.5 Summarit - you know, the "cheap" one that renders so nicely on film (and that I should use more than I do.  In fact, I should really get rid of all my other 35mm cameras and lenses bar the M6 and the Summarit because that's really the perfect combination for 99.9% of the photography I do).  Cropped to square as you can see coz I like the square, particularly for people:

A girl who goes by the name of Chloe, somewhere in Valencia, 2019.  Ilford Warmtone RC paper.



4 comments:

  1. That's a nice portrait, and I like that she's off-centre with the blurred background. She looks happy to be in Spain, even if you weren't into it. Did you give her a print?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus. It was Chloe's first time away from Ireland and I think she enjoyed it. It's funny but I don't think her&Missy have paired up since the holiday - after a week in close proximity they maybe need some space. I think she sent her a phone snap of the print but I'll give her the print when she next calls.

      Delete
  2. A nice portrait again my friend! And as you say, the square format really suits this sort of snaps very well indeed. I really think it's a 35mm shot though, but I could be wrong of course, as it has also happened one or two times in the past. Could be fooled by the crop as well...
    Oh yes, I agree. Should have got rid of a huge bunch of them 35mm snappers and just kept one or two of them... or maybe tree or four. The M6 with the 35mm would be the very last pair ever to leave the house, I tell you that much. If all bad things happen, I'll run away and dig it into some hole in the ground and leave it there until everything calms down a bit... That's what I'm going to do. 'Nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Roy. Yup it's cropped from 35mm. I don't really like doing that but at times it's necessary.

      Digging a hole in the ground is a pretty good idea. I remember reading Samuel Pepys' diaries a while back and when the big fire of London was raging that's exactly what he did with his best port and finest cheeses. So...makes sense! But don't forget to mark on the map where the treasure is buried ;)

      Delete