Monday 26 September 2022

Teacher and child

This statue sits in the grounds of the Harcourt Hill campus of Oxford Brookes - we've walked past it a few times en route to the bus from Missy's Room.  There's a quote from the bible on the plinth (Proverbs: Train up the child in the way he should go - the statue is Christ and the Child) but I took it more as Teacher-Learner kind of thing.  It's a big 'un - stands around 30 feet tall.

The scan doesn't do the print justice, unfortunately - the figures appear darker and the sky lighter in the scan.  I haven't the PS skills to make the necessary adjustments.
OM4ti, 35mm f/2.8 Zuiko.  HP5+ rated at 800, developed in Ilfotec HC 1:31 for 9m30s, printed on Foma 133 paper.

I thought it was made from concrete - it looks like concrete - but I read that the Uni commissioned a fibreglass replacement of the original, which had deteriorated since it's construction in 1958.  So I'm not sure.  If I'd touched it I might have been able to figure it out, but I didn't.

Close-up of the lower part:

Lovely mid-tones with HP5+ - well, in the print there are, if not the scan.

It was bittersweet getting our daughter re-installed in her room for another year.   Great that she was looking forward to it but sad to be saying Goodbye.  We made it a quick farewell, so as not to prolong the agony.  She'll be fine once she re-connects with her friends and her course gets underway.  My wife and I will be fine too, once we get used to the empty nest again.  Anyway, my brother and his daughter arrive in 4 days time, so it'll not be empty for another couple of weeks.  At the moment we've no time to think about anything other than getting beds made and giving the place a bit of a clean in preparation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment