Thursday 15 September 2022

Breaking Wave

 At Dunseverick, from a while back:

I'm not quite sure what happened to this print - it looks like someone has scrawled all over the sky with a pencil. It’s not on the neg. 
HP5+ via the 'Blad and some lens.

I see that William Klein has died, at the age of 96. Seems to be a popular age to go these days. What a body of work he has left behind, eh? Wiki has him as ‘25th on the Professional Photographers 100 most Influential Photographers’. He’s not on my go-to list of people for inspiration but when I searched online for his work I was surprised how many photographs I recognised & how much I liked his work, so perhaps he should be. He certainly got up close and personal to his subjects. Is that do-able today, I wonder? 

4 comments:

  1. William Klein is a familiar name and I knew that he made the photo of the scowling boy pointing a pistol at the camera. I looked up other photos after reading your post and . . . didn't recognise any other pictures. Strange.
    I think Erik Kim does in-your-face photography with flash, but I'm not sure what sort of reaction people have to him.
    Your photo is good. I wouldn't want to be out in a dory on a day like that. Did you find the cause of the lines in the sky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair I think I only recognised a lot of them as a book I picked up a while back had a chapter dedicated to him.

      Is Erik Kim still going? I don't hear about him much nowadays, but then I'm not reading as much online as I used to.

      Thanks - the sea didn't look that rough but when it crashed into the rocks it made a good hit. And nope, I never did! I think I had some light leaks in the darkroom which might have contributed to it but it doesn't look like a typical result of that either, so I'm still 'in the dark' ;) If it recurs I'll need to investigate further.

      Delete
    2. I had a look at his website and I'm not sure what's going on there. Blog posts don't seem to have dates. Judging by what I can see, he's now an innovator rather than a photographer. Or something.

      Delete
    3. When I first read your comment I saw influencer instead of innovator.

      Delete