Thursday 29 September 2022

Apple on gate

Close by Harcourt Hill campus in Oxford lies a very pleasant nature walk (North Hinksey) and it was perfect for a stretch of the legs after the 3-hour drive from Birkenhead the day before.  Someone (not me) had placed this fallen apple on top of a gate:

I did think about how I wanted this scene to be represented - although it might not seem that way ;)
In the end, I left the foreground dark, with just a hint of detail showing.  Too much detail and it would detract from the apple. 
So this is it. I briefly flirted with the idea of doing an exaggerated dodge around the apple - a bit like Ralph Gibson’s hand on doorknob shot, but I didn’t this time around. If I’m ever bored enough to print it again I might try it.
OM4ti/35mm/HP5+/Ilfotec HC/Foma 133 paper.

I just looked at Ralph Gibson’s shot again and it’s more subtle than I remembered. The hand is dark, so it looks like he dodged the area behind it before printing the hand. And then the shadow of the hand appears on the opposite wall, so it’s a very cleverly constructed (and executed) image.




4 comments:

  1. I think it’s nice as it is. Unusual composition, but I think it works. Is that a bird, top left? I’ve heard the Gibson name, but wasn’t familiar with his work so have done a Google. Couldn’t find that image you refer to, and to be honest, not sure what to make of what he does, it’s all a bit weird for me, I’m a simple man. Nice toning, how are you doing that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CD, appreciated. I think it's a flying thing of some sort, or else a conveniently-shaped bit of dust :) This one isn't toned - the Foma 133 paper is very warm, so it looks ready-toned.

      The Ralph Gibson shot I was talking about can be seen here: http://www.ralphgibson.com/gallery.html
      (third one down the left column)

      He's a big fan of ramping up the contrast, which gives impact.

      Delete