Monday 7 February 2022

No Bicycles

While the ladies were checking out the shops in the new(ish) Westgate Shopping Centre I went for a dander.  I found myself in New Inn Hall Street, which apparently is one of the oldest streets in Oxford.  New Inn Hall was founded sometime in the 13th Century on the site of a medieval Inn (Bishop Trellick's - those clergy liked their ale).  There are some very old buildings along New Inn Hall St but unfortunately there were cars parked close to them, which kind of spoil the 'olde-worlde' feel so I had to walk on by.

It was late afternoon and already dark but this scene made me smile so I snapped it up:

No Bicycles, Oxford 2022. It looks like the bicycles have contravened the sign and been put in jail.  Spoiler alert: the owners have heeded the sign, not chained their bikes to the centuries-old railings but parked them in the courtyard behind. Yashica T4 with auto-flash, HP5+ in HC-110.  Printed on Ilford Cooltone RC paper.

I had to hold the Yashica up above my head to get the perspective I wanted and so the focus patch missed the 'No Bicycles' sign, but in hindsight the shot worked quite well like this. 

Talking of city noise, as I was the other day, this article about Theodor Lessing (the 'anti-noise philosopher') in today's Guardian caught my eye.  Lessing first wrote about urban din in 1901.  I wonder what he would make of life in today's cities.

2 comments:

  1. Nice link. I’m not sure what Lessing would make of today’s racket if he thought a whip cracking and a housewife beating a carpet were offensive. Give me those over that little bleeder on his moped, any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'd probably go mad if he found himself transported to any modern city. No wonder some city-dwellers can't settle when they move to the country - the change is too great. Best they stay put, I think ;)

      Delete