Monday 14 February 2022

Him again

In the nearly eight years of this blog there ain't too many shots of yours truly - mainly 'cos I'm the one behind the camera.  There was this one, in case you missed it.  Anyway, I was checking through my collection of 35mm cameras the other day and I realised there was half a film lurking in the M6 so on Saturday I took it with me to my stepson's house and shot anything and everything I could to use it up.  Hence:

A mirror image of this blog's author, 2022.  M6ttl with 28mm Elmarit. HP5+ in HC-110, printed on very old Barclay graded paper.  I'll be 59 later this year.  Can't escape the fact that 60 is a big one and it's coming fast.  Nothing for it but to keep the head down and make more photographs.  To paraphrase Imogen Cunningham, my favourite photograph is the one I'm going to take tomorrow.  It feels like a very long time since I made a decent photograph and I'm not sure why that is.  To some degree I can blame the light - this winter has been awfully dull and miserable here in The Liberties.  To some degree I can blame 'events, dear boy' - our frequent trips to Oxford since September have been a bit strength-sapping.  The bottom line is that I have only that guy in the mirror to blame, so I'm telling him to Get his Act Together, and pronto.


5 comments:

  1. A well-composed photo of a fine-looking feller.
    I've done very little recently as well, and my excuse is my upcoming move to another city. I keep telling myself that a new environment will provide subjects and motivation, but we'll see. At the moment I feel exhausted and don't feel like doing anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks!

      You've a good excuse for feeling tired and unmotivated. Moving house is stressful, and not just from the physical effort involved. My wife's youngest son (approaching 30 now) is moving house in a few weeks. A couple of months later he's getting hitched. A month after that his best mate is also getting married. He's just beginning to realise what the next few months has in store for him.

      I hope your move goes smoothly. I'm sure in due course your new surroundings will provide the impetus for new challenges in your photography. In the meantime, you've got your move to document, photographically! I expect to see shots of boxes piled high on your usual place ;) Don't forget to pack the cat...

      Delete
    2. Can't forget the cat. He's much too noisy. I'm not sure you'll see too many photos of boxes and so on. I won't have the energy to hang a camera around my neck and my wife wouldn't look kindly on me taking pictures while we're in a rush to get things organised.

      Delete
  2. I can sympathise with the lack of inspiration over this last winter.
    As you say it’s been a miserable one, and we’ve not really been going to new places that might inspire us. I get those blocks too, I think we all do from time-to-time but I’m sure something will come along soon, if like you plan to, you get out there and shoot more. Anyhow, your seascape from a few posts ago were great. 59 eh, man, yeh, that’s old. I’m still a youthful 56.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuck indoors I've been re-kindling my interest in Still Life, using old family documents and artefacts that my wife and I have found ourselves looking after. It's challenging but perfect for the weather we currently have - I'm staying well away from the sea!

      Thanks for the comment about the seascape.

      56? Gosh I remember those days...just ;)

      Delete