Monday 28 February 2022

Brother mine

We're on a bit of a roll on this place at the minute - with people, that is.  So let's continue in that vein for the moment.  Today's offering is The Brother, who must have visited back in 2016 as he too was on that rogue film:

The Brother, as he looked in 2016.  This one needed pre-flashing under the enlarger in order to bring out what little sky there was.  It's still on the flat and lifeless side of flat and lifeless.  In my defense it looks like a fairly typical dull Northern Irish day...not a shadow in sight and just a big diffuse soft-box in the sky.  Anyway, he's giving me rather a whimsical glance and it's a nice moment to have captured.  It reminds me our grandfather, who always had a ready smile for us back in the day, as well as a well-turned phrase or two.  As youngsters we would take turns on goading him into saying one of his favourite phrases and then laugh our heads off when he unwittingly walked into our trap. 'Not half' was one such phrase - meaning, of course, 'Yes, absolutely'.  'Grandpa, would it hurt if I stamped on your foot?'...'Aye, not half!' and Oh boy we laughed ourselves silly at that one. I'm sure he thought we weren't right in the head at times.


4 comments:

  1. Some bigger glasses and that’s Denis Taylor. Not half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I've not had heard that before, but I see it! Pot Black was a favourite of ours in the 70s but that was before DT came on the scene. In those days it was the likes of Ray Reardon (aka Dracula), John Spencer and of course our own Alex Higgins, flawed genius that he was. And who could forget Terry Griffiths? ;)

      Delete
  2. I think most children are not right in the head. I certainly wasn't. But that's what makes them surprising and interesting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Marcus. I think that's what my grandfather loved about children - he was always trying to make us laugh.

      Delete