Thursday 16 December 2021

The Not-so-secret Beach

I don't know if there's a name for this little cove at Ballintoy - the Photo Club guys call it the Secret Beach.  Only nowadays it's not so secret - even on a cold December morning there were folk (other than us!) there.  That's not a problem in itself, of course - the beach is there for all to enjoy - but they do insist on leaving unsightly footprints in the sand.  People, eh?

Pinhole shot, cropped from 4x5 to 6x12 proportions.  That's Rathlin Island way in the distance, behind the twin outcrops of Sheep Island. I would have liked a little more sand in the foreground of this shot but it was just a mess of distracting footprints. Technical details same as the last shot (see previous post).  A lot of burning in of the sky was required to get the detail shown here.

Breaking News

My wife alerted me to a story in the local press last night. The local Council plan is to redesignate the car park to enable charging, ostensibly to provide better management of the limited spaces available. There’s also talk of electronic signage up on the main road to indicate availability down at the harbour, as well as a ‘Park and Ride’ facility. At the minute visitors have to negotiate the very windy, narrow road down to the harbour and then if the park is full there’s no option other than to turn and go back up. Obviously this is not ideal.

It was only a matter of time before something like this was suggested, I guess. As I’ve been saying for a while, Ballintoy has become a product of its own success. All I know is that when it comes I’ll resent having to pay for something I used to enjoy for free.


2 comments:

  1. You’ve burnt the sky in well, without adding extra density to the cliffs on either side. Nice image.

    ReplyDelete