Thursday 9 December 2021

More of the same

Another one from last Saturday's excursion to the Whiterocks - this time looking East towards the Causeway/Benbane Head:

Stormy day at the Whiterocks.  Hasselblad, 50mm.  FP4+ in HC-110, on Foma 133 paper.  A straight print, which would probably benefit from a little dodging burning in of the marram grass in the foreground, as it's a bit too prominent.

I was due to go to Ballintoy today (Wednesday, as I write this) with a Photo Club colleague but the forecast was not good.  On Tuesday we had our second storm of this winter, although it wasn't as bad here as it was on the West Coast of Ireland, where quite a few homes lost their electricity  (70,000 or so).  This morning wasn't actually too windy but this afternoon it's beginning to pick up again so we might be in for a rough evening.  Anyway, we've tentatively re-arranged our meet-up for Thursday but I'll make a last minute decision in the morning.   If I do go, it won't be for long as it's unseasonally cold for the time of year - around 5 degrees (Celsius). I wonder how long I need to be there to shoot my 12 shots on the 'Blad without being too wasteful…

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I prefer this to the previous one. Maybe just the two bright blobs of grass need a bit of burning, but not much I’d say. I struggle to get the 12 frames from my Rollei shot in a month or more, especially in the winter. Grey ain’t good for B&W pictures. Lucky you live by the coast. I’m not too far, maybe 25 miles but don’t really have the time to get out, so the camera comes with me on dog walks, and that about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually prefer the winter light - when it's not totally dull & grey, that is ;) and as you know, that can happen frequently at this time of year.

      Ah yes, dogs and cameras aren't really the perfect combination. When I used to walk our Collie on Portstewart Strand, or up on the dunes, he was almost always somewhere in the shot. I'm lucky in that I can usually get out at least once a week just to shoot, so when I've the Hasselblad I try to take all 12 shots in the one day.

      (And yes, burning in, not dodging. Corrected!).

      Delete