Thursday 11 March 2021

Room with a View

Ah, memories of the lovely Ms Honeychurch, eh?  Alas no sign of Ms HBC in Portballintrae the day I was there but heck, I'll keep looking...

Not so much a Room with a View here, more Rooms with Views, I guess.  I've always liked this bungalow, sitting where it does right on the edge.  The headland in the background is the Giant's Causeway.  Mind you, it must take some battering with our winter storms:


Portballintrae, 2021. HP5+ on Ilford MG Classic paper.  Hasselblad 501cm, 150mm lens.

It was damned cold that afternoon a couple of weeks ago, I remember, but the sun was offering up some decent light on the house and it looked rather sweet.  

Fellow Club member and film photographer David was with me.  David is on a mission, I think, to acquire any and all film cameras that catch his eye.  And why not, eh?  His latest purchase is a majestic Fuji 690 which would almost make me open my wallet for too.  Almost.  But they go for a pretty penny these days and I seriously do not need any more gear or distractions.  For now, that is, you understand.  This week he's promised to bring his Mamiya RB67.  He's doing it to annoy me, I think...and he's succeeding. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful home and location. Sometimes I see films where a person with limited means goes to live in the English or Welsh countryside. They rent a cottage similar to the one above and then have some sort of affair/shenanigans with someone from the nearby village. The film wants me to believe that a poor person lives in such a place because it's cheap. My experience says such places are too expensive to even look at. In densely populated countries like Korea, anyway. Would you pay a fortune for a place like that in NI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you financial situation is like Marcus but you're 20 years too late to grab a cheap holiday home on the North Coast of Northern Ireland. The last few years has seen prices skyrocket - especially anything with a sea view. You'd probably pay something in the order of £350k for this, should it come on the market. Northern Ireland still lags some way behind England prices, mind you...

      Delete
    2. 350,000 . . . . I nearly fell out of my chair.

      Delete
    3. Actually on reflection I might be way out. If there’s a decent plot of land around it (which looks to be the case) and they think there’s a chance of building apartments then you could double that figure...

      I know, it’s mad. The only industry here is hospitality. And a small University Campus and an even smaller hospital. It’s outside money, big hitters from Belfast who want a weekend& summer retreat. All you see now are BMWs, Mercedes, Range Rovers...oh, and the odd Ferrari. I actually saw a Rolls Royce 4x4 the other week...I didn’t even know they made one!

      Delete
    4. Rich people from the capital area buy up land in the countryside and drive the prices so high the locals can't afford it anymore.
      A 4x4 Rolls Royce would be great for driving over peasants.

      Delete