Monday 1 March 2021

Graffiti

Banksy excepted, graffiti has such a negative connotation to it, don't you think?  While a lot of folk around here might not class this particular bit of street art graffiti as such, it is painted on Council-owned property (the kiddies beach & play park in Portstewart).  It appeared around the time The Open golf tournament was held in neighbouring Portrush, so a couple of years ago.  The weather has rendered it slightly less readable than it used to be: 

The Crescent Playpark at Portstewart, February 2021

Taken on the 4x5 Walker TiTAN pinhole camera, with Fomapan 200 loaded.  I was rating it at iso 50, which gave me an exposure of 30 seconds on a rather blustery (and cold!) afternoon last week.  I tray-developed the film sheets in ID-11 1+2 for 11 minutes and they came out looking rather delicious, if I say so myself, with lots of detail in the sky and the foreground.  Printing them on Ilford MG Classic fibre paper was challenging, though.  I burned through a few test strips before I settled down to waste a full sheet of paper.  That set the marker and what you see here was the second full print made.  For the record, after the base exposure for the foreground I burnt in the sky first and then the left hand side, both times using a sheet of paper to mask out the other areas.  Then for the fourth and final pass I did a selective burn-in of the middle of the print, using a sheet of paper with a hole torn in it.  Torn rather than cut as you want the edges to be rough.  It was tough to get the middle part to tone but I knew the detail was there in the negative, it was just a case of giving it enough light without causing the rest of the print to go black.  


3 comments:

  1. Born again? Once was bad enough . . . .
    I don't do darkroom work anymore, but I like reading your descriptions of what you did. And some of it is applicable to the digital darkroom. Just the tools are different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I think it was Nietzsche who said something like Never-ending life would be hell.

      Thanks - I'm glad my brief description of darkroom work resonated with you. I wonder sometimes if I should say more about my thoughts and workflow at times. Most of the time I'm content to show my prints and accompany them with random musings.

      Delete
    2. I enjoy reading all the musings, darkroom-related or not.

      Delete