Monday 8 March 2021

Money for Old Rope

Not sure about the money bit but here's some old rope, which was lying around the harbour in Portballintrae last week.  It was late afternoon and the light was fading fast but we got a few minutes where the sun managed to escape the clutches of the clouds - not that you would notice from this shot as rope is, by nature, quite diffuse:

Portballintrae Harbour Rope.  HP5+ in ID-11, on MG Classic paper

I think I'll try toning this.  Hang on...


Print above, toned in home-made thiocarbamide bleach/thiourea toner

Makes quite a difference, toning it.  Much warmer, a bit more contrasty and altogether a much better print, I think. 

I made a second print at the same time as the first, which I thought at the time was a tad underexposed.  I over-printed it slightly as I was anticipating toning it.  This is it, after toning:

Same shot, different print

I think the best print is the one I didn't do - halfway between.  



2 comments:

  1. Maybe halfway would be better, but I think I prefer the darkest print out of these three. When I see the first two I think, "There's some rope." When I see the third I think, "There's some rope that has a story to go with it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - my preference is for the third one as well.

      Delete