Monday 14 December 2020

Photographer

Nicola is one of our Club Members and very talented she is, too.  About a year ago we had a rare Social Night in our one-and-only local bowling alley and had a lot of fun trying to hit those pins.  I had, if I remember correctly, the auto-everything Nikon N90 loaded with some decades-old Tri-X that was inside a bulk loader I was given.  It didn't come out great at all in ID-11 - horrible negs, very low in contrast.  

I was thinking about the new MGV paper that came out recently (well done Ilford for continuing to advance their paper emulsions in this day and age) and wondered how it might handle the situation.  It seems to print about a grade higher than the older MGIV so it might be worth a try, I thought.  This was the result, printed yesterday morning:


Nicola, Club Bowling Night 2019

It won't win any awards but given the negative I was surprised anything came out of it at all.  

The Club is having a trying year, obviously.  Everything is taking place over Zoom, which while less than ideal is at least allowing much more variety in our speakers, since they no longer have to be local.  I can see Zoom presentations being part of the new norm even when face-to-face meetings resume (whenever that might be).  Up to now I haven't joined in any Zoom calls since my experience of automatic speech recognition systems hasn't been very good.  Well, that plus the fact that all of our speakers are digital photographers and most of the talks are of no interest to me, since they (a) deal in colour and (b) rely heavily on post processing in software.  I know, I know, it's me. I need to get out more...

2 comments:

  1. I use mostly digital but the post processing articles, talks, and videos bore me as well. It's hard to find people who want to talk about photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - too much emphasis on software tricks and post-processing, layers and compositing etc. Everyone seems to be playing the same game.

      Delete