Monday 21 December 2020

Life, on a rock

I liked this rock - and the plants growing on it.  It's out Ballintoy way - that's Sheep Island in the background, Rathlin Island is lost in the mist somewhere beyond.  You get a sense of the tremendous forces which the rock has been subjected to over the years - all those layers and cracks.  I'm guessing it's limestone - most rocks here are either limestone (almost white) or basalt (almost black).  The plants have established themselves on the sheltered side of the rock and they seem to be doing OK, stretching their stems up above the parapet.

Life, on a rock, 2020. Ilford Delta 3200 in DD-X, on MGV paper. The scan has produced strange bands which aren't visible on the print - or certainly not as noticeable as appear here.  


Taken on the 'Blad and probably 150mm lens but I can't be 100% sure on that. I do know it was on Delta 3200 which I rather naively rated at box speed before developing in DD-X.  It's not something I'll be repeating, as the negatives were awful - very low in contrast.  Again, MGV came to the rescue.  From what I read, Delta 3200 is probably best rated around 1600.


2 comments:

  1. I can't see the bands on my computer screen. It's amazing where plants and animals can live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...that's good about the bands (but strange).

      Delete