Thursday 31 December 2020

Hydrangea and a milestone

We've a couple of Hydrangea shrubs in the garden and a few weeks ago their leaves were turning colour rather splendidly.  I ventured out with a tripod, a Hasselblad and a 150mm lens (I think) with a dark red filter on the front of it.  


Hydrangea leaves in autumn 2020.  HP5+ in ID-11, on MG Classic fibre paper.

The leaves themselves were turning dark red, hence the use of the filter which I knew would lighten things considerably.  It's a shame there's a gaping hole in the foliage lower left, which once you've seen it is very distracting. I didn't notice at the time as I was concentrating on getting the large centre arrangement in the middle of the shot.  Ah well, sure it's only 11 months until I can try again...

Oh yes, the milestone.  Well since this is the 31st December 2020 it marks 4 full years that I've been showing only scans of darkroom prints on this place.  Stopping scanning my negatives was the thing that really helped my darkroom work improve - as well as my ability to read a negative and make suitable adjustments to how I expose and subsequently develop the film.  The negative, of course, is the important bit in the process - screw that up and you're in for a hard time in the darkroom.  Scanning masks poor negatives, in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong, it's amazing what software can do with a poorly exposed/developed negative but that's of no help whatsoever when you take that negative into the darkroom and try to print from it.  Anyway, let's see what 2021 brings.  Have a good New Year everyone, wherever you are. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your excellent prints and stories for the past four years. I'm looking forward to the next four years of visiting this website. And the four after that. And the next four ad infinitum.
    I hope 2021 treats us all well, because his older brother 2020 was a right bastard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcus - appreciated.

      Indeed - all the best for 2021 too.

      Delete