Thursday 24 December 2020

Bann Estuary

The Bann rises in the Mountains of Mourne in the South East of Northern Ireland and empties into the Atlantic Ocean at the western end of Portstewart Strand.  By this time it's a pretty big, wide river - this is what it looked like yesterday, less than a mile from the Atlantic.  A late night printing session in the darkroom was required, since today (Christmas Eve) and tomorrow are going to be a bit busy...


The Bann Estuary as it flows towards the Atlantic.  Inishowen Peninsula is in the background.  Via the Hasselblad and 150mm lens, HP5+ in ID-11 printed on Ilford MG Classic fibre paper.

Although this is a pretty stunning location within walking distance of where I live I rarely venture down there since to get this requires standing by a riverside restaurant/cafe.  It seemed to be all closed up yesterday but the owner came out to see what I was up to.  He was very pleasant but wanted me to park a little way down from where I was.  At least I think that's what he wanted - unfortunately my poor hearing means I'm unable to get more than a rather vague notion of what is being said to me.  It has made me shun conversation - particularly with someone I don't know and who isn't aware of my difficulties.  

This shot is looking West, maybe slightly North-West, I would say.  By the time summer comes the sun is setting directly over Inishowen in the centre of this photograph and what with our clouds we do get some spectacular sunsets.  But I leave the sunsets to the digi shooters since they seem to like all that colour and what have you.

Anyway, a very Merry Christmas to all my readers, wherever you are.  Stay safe.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you had a good one too, in spite of the COVID restrictions...

      Delete
  2. A great photo. I like the layers of light and dark.
    I use digital and colour film, but I'm not sure I have a single sunrise or sunset photo. No sunrises because I'm lazy, and no sunsets because I'm usually hungry by that time. Anyway, there are gangs of 60 year old men here in Korea who have worn tripod holes in the rocks of famous sunrise and sunset locations. I'm sure they have all the photos of the sun the world needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcus.

      'Worn tripod holes in the rocks' gave me a good laugh. I might have said before but some of our Club went to Venice a couple of years ago. There's a bridge all the 'togs flock to to get the sun rising along a canal (check out Photographers Epheremis to get it just right for the time of year you are visiting). One of these days the bridge is going to collapse under the weight of photographers and tripods...all getting the same (unique!) shot. I don't get it at all.

      Delete
    2. Maybe a guaranteed winner makes people feel good. And friends and family back home probably don't know that thousands of others have made the same photo.

      Delete