Thursday 3 October 2019

Perfect symmetry

This was taken a couple of weeks ago in Portstewart, when out with the film lads from the Club.   It was early evening and the light was rather tasty. We all had the tripods out (as good Club Photographers do) and I had the 'Blad with the 250mm lens attached.  A quick point-and-shoot beast it is not...

I was composing a shot of the School on the headland - the Dominican College, formerly a Convent School - hence the cross sitting atop.  I'm a Governor there, for my sins, and I'm always on the lookout for the definitive photograph of it - it's one of the most recognisable buildings in the area, perched as it is overlooking the bay and the Promenade.

Anyway, I was vaguely aware of the young girl as she was climbing up the rocks in the foreground.  A bit mad, if you ask me, but that's the sort of thing you do when you're young - and quite right, too.  I didn't really have the camera trained on her or anything but I thought Well, kids are interesting - you never know, so I re-composed so that she was included in the shot.  And then, just for a second as she reached the top, she posed for her friends below with her arms outstretched.  I knew that was the shot and I didn't hesitate - I pressed the shutter release and hoped for the best with regard to focus.  As luck would have it, she's perfectly mirroring the Cross on the school, albeit some way away.


Dominican College, Portstewart.  Adox MCC fibre paper

This might be the shot to present to the school - perhaps they'll choose it as as a Christmas card or something.  I'd be very happy if it ended up bringing in a few funds to help the students.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, the decisive moment. You recognized it and acted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - indeed, Jim! You can't think about it - if you do, the moment has gone.

      Delete
  2. Great light and composition. I'm not sure I see a Christmas card, though. I saw it as Truant's Day Out. But I bet you could sell some prints of this for the college. Probably don't use my title, though . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like you title better, Marcus :)

      It occurred to me that this is probably not one for general sale - I'd probably need a model waiver form for the young girl, as her face is visible (just). Maybe best to keep this one hidden away - this place is perfect for that ;)

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm glad I got to see it, anyway.

      Delete