Monday 21 October 2019

Fun times

Nothing much new here, I'm sorry to say.  It's Club night tonight and we have an external judge coming in to look at our work - let's call him Danny.  Danny's job is to select which prints and PDIs (projected digital images) go forward to the Northern Ireland Photographic Association (NIPA)'s Inter-Club competition.  There are 5 rounds and tonight is round 2. The theme is landscape. Hmm....

Now NIPA judges don't usually give me a warm glow, it has to be said.  Some of the comments last year were, quite frankly, laughable.  It takes all my willpower to actually submit an entry to these things and I really only do it to show support for the Club.  I have no desire for any of my prints to be selected.  Having said that, there aren't usually very many B&W prints submitted so the chances are pretty high of having a print go forward to the competition proper.  My usual modus operandi is to have a bit of fun and submit a print they'll hate - something deliberately out-of-focus, or a lith print.  Either of these usually throws them completely, since they all seem to have a 'thing' about sharpness.

Unfortunately when I went to dig out something that might vaguely be considered landscapey, I could find nothing really suitable.  I tried to print a couple of negatives yesterday morning - lith on Slavich paper but that paper needs a certain sort of negative to come alive and neither of these really worked.  In all honesty I don't think I could bring myself to submit these, notwithstanding my views on the whole thing...

Portstewart Strand, on Slavich/lith



Mt Errigal, Donegal.

On the other hand...

I'll reveal how it went on the next post, if y'all can handle the suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment