Thursday 10 October 2019

Have a look...through the round window

Older readers from the UK (are there any?) might get the vague link in the title to Play School - a kiddies programme back in the 60s and maybe early 70s where there was a choice of round, square or arched window to look through each day.  That's what counted as 'interactive tv' in those days, where anyone watching at home was invited to guess which one.  And yes, I did have to do a bit of desktop research to identify which programme it was - in my head it was Watch with Mother but nope, the Internet Thing tells me it was Play School.  So there you go.

Anyway, enough drivel.  Well - enough of that drivel.  If you were awake last time (and this guy was, it appears), you might have noticed the round thing in the wall at the back of the play park.  As I wandered about, Hasselblad in hand, I took a peek and this is what I saw, captured for you on HP5+, developed in ID-11 and printed on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper:

Portrush Play Park, 2019

Through the round window lies the East Strand and if you could move a little to the right and look a little to the left (if that makes sense) you might see the Whiterocks and even over to the Giant's Causeway, a few miles away.  I should really go to the Causeway some time but it's a busy old place these days.  Perhaps I'll wait until a really horrible day in January and go then.  I'll bet there'll still be others there too, though. People, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Nice design on the barrier (is that what it's called?). Horrible days in January are the best time to go to the beach here in Gangneung. The Seoulites are all safe, sound and cosy in Seoul coffee shops instead of crowding up the seaside here. And I don't like hot weather, so I would avoid the beach in summer anyway, no matter how few people were around . . . .
    Thanks for linking to my site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barrier sounds good to me, Marcus - surprisingly arty for these parts. Ach that's not really fair - we do have lots of art and culture around here, but sometimes you've got to look for it. Other times it's under your nose and you just have to open your eyes.

      Yep, I'm a big fan of any beach in the winter - beats the summer any day. It's usually a good chance to get the cobwebs blown away, as we say around here.

      Delete
  2. Getting the cobwebs blown away is a good way to describe what happens on a winter beach. I used to like going to the beach on a rainy day and watching the sea from inside my truck. I don't have a vehicle any more, so I can't indulge in that. I could sit inside a coffee shop, but it's hardly the same thing.

    ReplyDelete