Monday 10 December 2018

Library at DePaul University, Chicago

How’s that for a snappy title, eh? OK I know we're flitting back and forth some 40 years here at the minute, but sure it keeps things interesting.  I hope so, anyway.

As you know, if you've been following events, I went for a quick visit to Chicago this summer to see my brother.  Here's one of the shots I took on the Lincoln Park campus of DePaul University.  This is the lobby/entrance to the Library. So actually the title is misleading; it should read ‘Entrance to library at DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, Chicago’. Even snappier then, right?


The Library, DePaul University, Chicago.  2018. Ilford fibre classic paper, toned.
About a tenth of a second after I took this shot the guy there dropped to the floor in alarm. No, of course I jest, but the place was quiet and with all those tiles the mirror slap from the ‘Blad was, how shall I say, noticeable.

Anyway, isn’t the library entrance impressive? I thought it was. And the ground floor lobby of the library  was equally plush - all wood and expensive chairs and big computer screens and a sense of reverence. I got the impression it’s where prospective students - and, more importantly, their parents - would be brought on Open Days. Yes, folks, just equate the quality of the learning to the decor and By the way, sign right here...

It’s a business, higher education these days, don’t you know?


6 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful building, and I have to say that student looks right out of place with his backpack, t-shirt, and shorts. He looks like he was accidentally transported to the past.
    Higher education is definitely a business these days. My university spends a fortune on fountains, a big black car with driver so he can impress industry leaders, and a shiny new building (that is a horror to navigate inside). Meanwhile, I have to teach using an old computer and cheap computer speakers that are supposed to fill a large room with sound. I'll stop ranting now . . . .
    Did you develop your film in Chicago, or did you bring it back home and develop it there? Did airport security hand check your film for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I could rant all day long about higher education’s ills, Marcus but I’d better not - I’d only appear bitter&twisted.

      I brought the film into the US unexposed and took it out exposed, all in hand luggage. I didn’t request any special checks - just let them X-ray it as normal. I’ve never had a problem with airport checks on my film (yet!), even though some rolls were exposed at 1600asa which some people say is when it is likely to suffer damage. Maybe I’ve just been lucky...

      Delete
  2. Nice that your film wasn't affected. I bring digital overseas to save myself hassle. And also because I want to do a bit of video, which is difficult with a film camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably got films having passed 10-15 X-ray machines and only got one suspicious film out of hundreds I have brought through. I don't even think about it anymore.
    Higher education is expensive around the world I know. We got a free for all system, as long as you got the grades to enter the study it's yours. That's fine, I think... and we also got a system with very cheap loans and stipend things that you'll get more or less automatically if you can bother to fill in a very small form. This system made me financially able to take three years of higher education at the age of over 30 and with three kids at home. That's not bad when you think about it.
    Our libraries does not look anything even close to this, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your education system sounds about perfect, Roy. I remember back in the 80s that Germany had a similar system, but almost too perfect. The result was you got perpetual students who just enjoyed the life too much and spent 10 or more years 'studying'. Of course, a large part of that 'studying' was spent sitting around drinking coffee&beer and smoking hand-rolled cigarettes. I think in the end they had to abandon such a system - I don't know what it's like there now. Here in the UK it's a quick in-and-out in 3 or 4 years and now they're even talking about a 2-year degree. But sadly most UK Universities aren't about education any more, they're just businesses.

      Delete
    2. As every other good thing in the world you could also use the norwegian system to just be lazy and do nothing for a few years, but that has changed now. The financial bit is made in a way that you get the best out of it if you're clever and get you things done in the normal time. If you need more time, things start to cost you a fair amount of money because they then will start to convert your earlier received stipend into a loan instead, and with a very much different interest than it will have if you're clever and get done with whatever you're doing.
      I guess, but don't know, that it's a result of people having tried to use the system to their own benefit until someone got sick of it :)

      Delete